Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Dropper

Remember the episode of Friends, where they spend the day throwing a ball back and forth to see how long they can do it?  At one point, Monica tried to keep Chandler from the game by telling everyone "He's a dropper!"

Enter Roy Williams.  In his heyday at Texas, he never particularly impressed me.  I know, I know!  How good to do you have to be to impress me on the field at DKR?!  Sure, he was good.  Sure, he made some great catches.  There were moments of greatness.  But I just couldn't get on board...you can ask anyone who attended a game with me in his era, I always referred to him as "Dropsie."  This is how I see him when I close my eyes:


I know, it's pretty picky. I mean, for the love of God, when he left Texas, he was the all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns. He was on the all Big XII team three times.  A Cotton Bowl MVP!

Even though I was glad for him to come home to Texas and play for the cowboys, I still couldn't let it go.  I never found him particularly impressive in Jerry's house either.  He never did anything that made me say "Hey, I should stop probably calling him 'Dropsie'..."

I guess I'm not the only one who was unimpressed.  I was sad the Cowboys let him go simply because I was sad to see a Longhorn leave Texas.  I wish him success with any team he plays for, if for no reason other than making Texas look better as judged by their alumni.

Today on a Dallas talk-sports show, one the commentators, (he happened to be anti-Longhorn, but I'm not sure if this statement was motivated by this fact) actually referred to Roy Williams as "Radio."  I almost wrecked my car.

It just goes to show that no matter what name you're being called, there's probably someone lined up waiting to call you a worse one.

No comments:

Post a Comment