Monday, August 22, 2011

The Dan Dan Convention: Addendum A

The summer after the National Championship game against USC, we attended another Dan Dan Convention (Dallas Longhorn Club meeting), with featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams.  True to our experience with these season kick-off meetings, it was filled with Dan Dans, and featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams gave vague reports on the players and upcoming season. 

I'm pretty sure featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams remembered me from our first Dan Dan Convention, when we arrived late and had to cross in front of him while he gave his presentation. Which he did not like.

In fact, that was when he first began to despise me.

So at this particular Dan Dan Convention, we made sure to arrive on time and were seated before he began his speech.  I can't tell you any of what you said, because I was preparing myself for the Q&A.  I had a question to ask featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams. 

The Q&A began, and though my hand was raised on every question attempt, featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams did not call on me.  He would look straight at me, then look away.  He was not interested in my question, and held off calling on me until he had no choice.

When he finally acknowledged my raised hand, I dropped the bomb. "Can you tell me how much longer Greg Davis will remain the Offensive Coordinator at Texas?"

The room was instantly divided into two factions: Dan Dans and Everyone Else. The Dan Dans began to glare and me and grumble.

"....well he just won us a national championship..."
"....silly girl, she doesn't know what she's talking about...."
"....he's done a fine job with our quarterbacks...."
"....the NERVE!"
"....we've never had a better offense...."

Everyone Else began to nod and swiveled their heads to look at featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams for an answer.  My people, the Everyone Else knew that Greg Davis was running on borrowed time.  The Everyone Else and I looked expectantly at featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams.

Featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams stared me down from his podium.  I didn't flinch.  I wanted my answer.

"Greg Davis has a job at Texas as long as he wants it."  He might as well have called me "little girl" while he was at it, because the look on featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliam's face showed very clearly that he didn't care for my question.

I'll rant about Greg Davis in another post.  But I did not like this answer.  I found it upsetting that no one else was asking the question or making the point that Greg Davis had been lucking out since he came to Texas, with Ricky Williams, Major Applewhite and Vince Young making plays on the field despite him.

Featured speaker, former Longhorn Head Coach David McWilliams was an example of this blind loyalty to a flawed coaching staff that was getting the job despite their best efforts.  He and the Dan Dans were unwilling to look at what was happening on the field, play by play, and were basing success on wins and losses.  This is not a long option for success, and it would take only one quarterback without the "it" factor to expose our major weakness, making us vulnerable to every defense in the nation.  I don't like our major weakness being exposed to every defense. 

As I sat back down, the Dan Dans all turned away from me in disgust and the Everyone Else gave me approving glances and mental high-fives.  We knew it was coming. 

It was January of 2010 when that weakness peeked out and it was the 2010 season when it was fully exposed.  Greg Davis has since "retired" and we're starting off with a brand new pair of Offensive Coordinators.  I guess it's true that sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can claw your way out of the ditch.

And the Dan Dans cried....







No comments:

Post a Comment