Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Week of Twelve

Now that I’ve gotten a little bit of frustration out of my system regarding last week’s game against K-State, I thought it might be fun to address some other College Football happenings for the last few weeks.

The one thing I’ve been avoiding here on Adventures of a Football Girl is the Penn State scandal. It’s hard to write about because everything up to this point is speculation, and he said/she said (or I guess in this case, he said/he said). That makes me nervous. It’s also hard for me to write about because it’s just so sad. I do have one strong opinion: If Joe Pa was fired for not going to the police, then McQueary should have been as well. Another opinion: Sandusky has the worst lawyer in the world. What would possess a lawyer to let his client do a phone interview with Bob Costas. Reality check, people! Regardless, the whole thing is…

…terrible. Much like a particular Kansas 1st quarter drive, in which they managed to move the ball backwards from the Kansas 49 for a Texas A&M Safety. When I saw the final score, A&M 61, Kansas 7, I was slightly fearful. But on closer inspection it appears that maybe Kansas, much like Texas this week, did a lot of the damage to themselves…as this particular five minutes of terror proves. Thursday night game between Texas and Texas A&M should be a real showdown of…

…mediocrity. Look, I’m not saying Texas is the pot of gold at the end of anyone’s rainbow. But, Oklahoma is looking less and less like a BCS leprechaun to me. Granted, Baylor is nothing to thumb your nose at, in fact, I think they get a lot less credit than they deserve, but letting Tech put up 600 yards of offense on you is…not okay. Yes, I know, three defensive starters were out…I feel ya, but as I’ve said of the Longhorns, you can’t recruit as well as we do and not have depth to adjust. That being said, how about them…

…bears! Taking down two of my favorite teams to loathe this year! First TCU then Oklahoma. And, probably next…us! But that’s okay, unlike last year, this season I’m fully expecting it. Hopefully I’ll be able to at least make my day a happier one by visiting Judge, the Baylor Bear who lives on campus in a habitat. At least, that’s what I’ve heard. The closest thing we have to that at Texas is the supposed burial of “pig,” the UT President’s deceased dog, underneath a random tree grate somewhere on the original 40 acres. I couldn’t tell you off-hand where his final resting place is, but I know I’ve happened upon it several times and recognized it immediately. I digress. I’m sure Art Briles has spent the last three days composing love letters to RGIII begging him to stay. I’d pay to get my hands on a list of promises he’s willing to make if Griffin will…

…stay put! The minute you turn that dial, you’re going to miss a moment of TV greatness. Somewhere between Michael Jackson’s hair catching on fire and his sister Janet bearing her lady parts at the Super Bowl, you can rank Lee Corso dropping the F-Bomb on College Game Day into great moments on TV that you could have missed with the blink of an eye. At the time of posting, you can still see Corso’s mini-meltdown on YouTube, but I don’t know how long that will last. Just know that it was everything you could have …

…dreamed. This is the season to dream big. Just ask Paul Rhodes. Who would have thought a team of tornados/birds-with-teeth would take down the #2 team in the nation? Oklahoma State seemed a little surprised to have gone down that way and rightly so. The rest of us sure were! Coming from a 24-7 deficit to win in double overtime?! Hello Cyclones. I’m glad to see them overcome their mascot confusion and pull together for the win. The bowl eligible Cyclones still have the other Oklahoma to play this weekend, but should be proud of their season. Way to shake up…

…the Big XII. Well, what’s left of it anyway. At the end of the year we say goodbye to Texas A&M and Missouri. And to that I say … “Goodbye & Good Luck.” We will also welcome – eh…welcome is a loose term in my vocabulary when talking about the purple frogs...TCU and West Virginia (!?) into our little fraternity. And to that I say … “mehm.” I will point out that I think it’s a little weird for your conference chair-people to make a big stink about how important it is that conferences “stay regional,” then throw non-regional schools in the mix completely randomly. I like the program, but what a whip for WVU, to have all of their conference games be …

…so close yet so far away. Which is how I feel about our season. At the very least, it’s almost over.

To put us out of our Week 12 misery, I leave you with the following snippet:

Debra: "I’m excited to go to college station, but I don’t want to go in that rape tunnel. That’s scary."
Me: "I’d rather be in the Aggie rape tunnel than in a shower at Penn State."

...too soon?











No comments:

Post a Comment