Friday, November 04, 2011

The Bowl That Wasn't

A few nights ago, Debra and I were discussing the possibility of Texas going to a bowl game, possibly a regional one that would be difficult to attend.

It got me thinking about last year...by the end of our pitiful season, we were so completely beaten down by Longhorn Football, that by then end of the season we were pretty close to hoping for losses in the last few games.  I wanted the losses to put the nail in the coffin of the firing of Greg Davis.

It was a rough season.  Kacie, Debra and I still traveled to all of the games...in fact, when we facebook-checked-in at a bar Manhattan, Kansas, we noticed an immediate comment:  "Oh my God, they're masochists!"

And it was true.  We went there knowing full well we would lose...and the 'Horns did not disappoint.

With just a few games left to go, we were on the cusp of a bowl bid.  Any bowl bid.  The three of us were so disappointed/tired/beated down/frustrated with the football season that we decided we wouldn't even go to the game if they made a bowl.

"I wouldn't even drive to the Cotton Bowl to see them play!" Kacie declared. 

But it was Debra who summed it up so beautifully that the image will stay with me forever:

"Hell.  I wouldn't even walk to my window to see them play in the [her street name] Cul De Sac Bowl."

Luckily, or maybe sadly, none of us had to follow through on our threats of ignoring an "Addison Circle Bowl", the "Empty Lot Next to My Apartment Bowl" or the "Parking Lot of My Office Bowl."

The 'Horns finished so abysmally, they weren't even invited to one.

And that's the way college football go.

No comments:

Post a Comment