Monday, September 19, 2011

The Road Trip

This last weekend, I traveled to California for the Texas/UCLA game at the Rose Bowl. I have to admit, it was nice to walk away from the Rose Bowl with a win…and a McCoy with full use of both of his arms! I also have to admit it was nice to finally beat the UCLA Bruins, who’ve basically owned us since 1997. A little selfishly, I really wanted to beat them 66-3 (the score of the infamous “Route 66” game in Austin) but frankly I’ll take any win.

A few highlights from the game:

1) The Mike Davis Catch. While my sister Kacie is not happy about this play, I loved it. Her concern is that she’d rather not have to catch the ball after an almost-pick. I look at plays like that and think about how great it is that Davis kept his head in the game and followed through on the play. I think a lot of great plays are born from broken ones – I want to look at them all in the most positive light I can! Speaking of broken plays….

2) The McCoy Scramble. We (and maybe UCLA) thought he was down…and as we Count Dracula’d that crap ("One! One missed tackle! Two! Two missed tackles! Three! THREE MISSED TACKLES! Bwah ha ha ha ha!") McCoy just kept on going, kept his head and found his guy! While in the stands, I received a completely unsolicited text from my mom that said only “The replay was even better. He’s the man.” I knew exactly what she was talking about and echoed her sentiments exactly. Speaking of sentiments….

3) The Team Acted Like A Team. The players looked relaxed, happy, and cohesive. Like they were having fun for the first time in years! I got goose-bumps when the game was over and the players came to our visitors side and started dancing with the band. I think they might finally be feeling in the groove…and grooving to the feeling. There’s a lot to be said for having that Mojo. Speaking of Mojo….

On the plane ride home (as we circled DFW to avoid flying straight into a thunderstorm) Kacie, Debra and I were watching Friday Night Lights (the movie version) on the iPad. Random-Longhorn-Fan-Guy (who had earlier been eyeballing us in the terminal as we sat with our Texas gear on) stopped in the aisle, looked at us and made the comment “Y’all are going to make fines wives someday.”

Um. Thanks buddy…I guess?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with your sister. Unless Case gets some serious arm strength next year, he's not the answer. Every deep ball he's ever thrown should have been picked; he has amazing luck. We need Ash to take over as soon as practicable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please remember that Colt McCoy was originally seen as "having a week arm."

    ReplyDelete