Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Baby Doppelgangers

Uh, is anyone else crazy excited about the little burnt orange deja vu show we saw at the Texas/BYU game? McCoy to Shipley! McCoy to Shipley! Watching these Baby Doppelgangers connect on the field was just what I wanted to see.

ba·by/ˈbeɪbi/ plural -bies, adjective, verb, -bied, -by·ing noun: (3rd descript) the youngest member of a family, group, etc. (9th descript) small; comparatively little: a baby car.

dop·pel·gäng·er/ˈdɒpəlˌgæŋər; Ger. ˈdɔpəlˌgɛŋər/ Show Spelled[dop-uhl-gang-er; Ger. daw-puhl-geng-er]noun:  a ghostly double or counterpart of a living person.

I find the definition having the word "ghostly" here to be particularly hilarious since Jordan Shipley was referred to as "The Ghost" his first two years. He was so highly recruited and then injury plagued, so he was often spoken of, but never seen, thus ghostly.  At the K-State game in Manhattan in 2006, I was in the stands when I saw what I thought may be Jordan Shipley out on the field.  "Is that The Ghost?" I asked Debra just as he went full on for a 15 yard rush and a first down.  "You go, Ghost!" I yelled.  Very eeerily, the man in front of me turned around and looked me straight in the eye. "Don't call my son The Ghost," he said before eeerily turning back to watch the field.  All I could do was stammer. "Ghost...not insult...good...everyone calls...ghost...not bad thing...ghost."  I sounded like Milton from Office Space..."and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler..."

I'm all about Case McCoy, I think he's our best chance at quarterback right now and he has my full support. But that Jaxon Shipley...man!  Just watching him snatch those balls from triple coverage gave me chills. He's good. I hope he's as good as his brother. Not to mention, if he's anything like his brother, he'll never leave us.

I feel bad that they're going to be constantly compared to their brothers.  But not bad enough to stop doing it!!  They have the same initials as their brothers, for God's sake!  To that I say:

More Baby Doppelgangers! Bring me the Baby Doppelgangers!

Let's do a Baby Doppelganger SAT Math Question:

Assuming McCoys and Shipleys multiply at their current rate and the Football Girl lives to be 106 years old, how many Doppelgangers might she see in her lifetime?

A. (4) McCoys and (4) Shipleys
B. (8) McCoys and (8) Shipleys
C. (16) McCoys and (16) Shipleys
D. (28) McCoys and (28) Shipleys

Ha!  I tricked you! It's none of the above!  If I live to see a century, I could see 60 burnt orange Doppelgangers in my lifetime!!  There could theoretically be a team consisting ENTIRELY of Greatgrandbaby McCoys and Shipleys!! McCoy to Shipley!

A. (4) McCoys / (4) Shipleys (Doppelgangers on a single UT team in 25 years)
B. (8) McCoys and (8) Shipleys (Doppelgangers on a single UT team in 50 years)
C. (16) McCoys and (16) Shipleys (Doppelgangers on a single UT team in 75 years)
D. (28) McCoys and (28) Shipleys (Total of  future Doppelgangers over time)

Trick Answer: (60) Total Doppelgangers (estimate of answer D, plus the Originals and the first pair of Baby Doppelgangers.)

(I understand that was very convoluted and possibly wrong.  Just go with it and love it.  I'm not good at math, and if we haven't established that yet, we did right here.)

Last night when I told a friend of mine, "Zest," about the possibility of an entire team made of Baby Doppelgangers, he asked why I thought about just cloning them.  I briefly considered that, then thought about the possible repercussions (the DNA in those Deliverance people was surely not quite right) and decided we should wait until the process is refined a little more, and maybe by that point we could just mix up the DNA of McCoys and Shipleys and get a McShipley.  Zest asked how that would work: would he throw the ball to himself and catch it?  I responded "yes, like Bugs Bunny."  The conversation deteriorated rapidly as we began to debate if Bugs Bunny actually ever did (or could physically could) do that.  (I know you're on the edge of your seat, so the answer is: Yes, he can and he did.  I won the debate by using evidence I found on the interwebs.)

Note:  Jaxon and Case confirmed today to Chip Brown that, just like their fathers and brothers before them, they are indeed roommates at school.  McCoy to Shipley!

And now, I present to you:

THE FIRST THREE GENERATIONS OF SHIPLEYS AND MCCOYS!
Brad McCoy and Bob Shipley


Jordan Shipley and Colt McCoy
Jaxon Shipley and Case McCoy







No comments:

Post a Comment