Thursday, October 09, 2014

The Legends

I thought this article on ESPN.com, where legends give wisdom/advice to Charlie Strong on the Red River Shootout was pretty darn cool.

Some things I thought were interesting:

Barry Switzer, head coach, Oklahoma (1973-88): [The Longhorns] are playing [against] a program, in my estimation, that has a greater tradition than them. That's something that isn't easy for Texas to swallow. But all you got to do is check the records. Check the record book. Go back to the war. Don't give me this 1800s bulls---. Oklahoma has more national championships, won more games than they have. We're a step better.

...except when you play head to head?

Oklahoma vs Texas
 Texas          60
 Oklahoma    43
Ties             5

Billy Sims, RB, Oklahoma (1976-79): You can throw out the records. Both sides are going to come to play.

Case McCoy, QB, Texas (2010 - 13): Just talking about it gives me chills. There's really no words to describe it unless you can actually go experience it.

Derland Moore, DT, Oklahoma (1970-72): The hard hitting. The emotion. The lack of cheap shots. It's straight-up. Everyone hits you between the hashes. Texas is a very, very worthy opponent. I remember some teams we played would cheap-shot you. But Texas, nope, they're coming right at you. They're going to let you know they mean business.

Meeeeh...I will say a lot of calls aren't called....I've seen a lot of cheap shots (on both sides of the Red River) in my 16 Texas-OU games.

James Brown, QB, UT (1994-97): [Charlie Strong] He'll have many more. Don't get caught up in the venue or the long history of the Texas-OU rivalry. He needs to make his own history and he can start on that Saturday.

Chilling.  

Tony Casillas: I would say to not to eat a lot beforehand.

Hilarious

And my favorite, the statement I think sums it up the best:

Derland Moore, DT, Oklahoma (1970-72): A lot of emotion. It's the greatest game in the world. There's nothing more exciting. Nothing riles the fans up more than this game. It's a classic. And it doesn't matter who's better. It matters who wants it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment