Thursday, October 09, 2014

The Jayhawks

In light of the Kansas game, I get to talk about one of my favorite things:  The Texas Defense.
 
Finally a shut-out!!  I mean, sure, a shut-out against Kansas is kind of like kissing your cousin, but in all honesty, I think our defense needed to be able to look at a game and see conclusive results of their hard work. 

Not only did the defense shut out the Jayhawks, but:

They did it on the road
They turned the ball over four times
They didn't allow a rush longer than 20 yards

I can’t say I was super concentrating when I watched this game, so I don’t have a ton to say.  I was at a sports bar and the game was being shown on a tiny TV in the corner…if it wasn’t hard enough to watch from that angle, the Texas A&M / Arkansas game was playing and I wanted very much for Arkansas to win.  It didn’t help that Fox Sports changed the channel of the game at the last minute and this was just a little too much for the TV Wrangler at the bar to comprehend.

Prediction wise, I was totally on point:










I’m loving when I can see John Harris or Jaxon Shipley connect on a nice pass, and we got to see that against Kansas.  Six receptions each, averaging just over 14 yards.  

I’m thrilled that three defenders had takeaways: Duke Thomas (had 2), Jordan Hicks and Quandre Diggs, who is one of my favorite players, all had interceptions.

I’m not exactly sold on our kicking game yet.  Nick Rose missed an extra point (no excuse!) and a 48 yard field goal.  While Rose did nail a 42 yard field goal, it was his career long and he is 3 for 6 this far in the season.  Maybe I’m spoiled after years of AMAZING kickers like Kris Stockton, Dusty Mangum, Justin Tucker, Ryan Bailey, and Hunter Lawrence.  Even Anthony Fera pulled it together for a great 2013.  

Unfortunately, in this time of darkness when the offense can’t necessarily score touchdowns, a kicker with a higher than 36.6 yard average is valued and preferred. 

Instead, we have the 162nd ranked kicker in FBS.  Out of 175.  I’m just saying.  That’s not going to get it done.

All that being said, I’m happy with our defense.  Even though we weren’t playing the greatest team, I hope the confidence has been boosted on all sides of the ball to give us a little momentum in the weeks ahead.






No comments:

Post a Comment