Friday, August 16, 2013

(It Ain't About) The Money, Money, Money....


Last night I watched my favorite movie for the 198th time, Pitch Perfect.  If you haven't seen it, go watch it on Itunes.  I'll wait....Great! You're back!  Tell me that wasn't hilarious and one of the best 90 minutes of your life.  I dare you. 
Don't tell me you can watch this without getting
choked up over the Breakfast Club Song...
 
During one of the scenes in the movie, an a capella team covers a song by Jessie J called Price Tag, with the lyrics being "It ain't about the Money (Money, Money), We don't need the money (Money, Money)"  This, of course, got me thinking about college football. 
 
Because everything makes me think of college football.
 
If you don't know yet about the whole "Johnny Football paid for Autographs" ordeal yet, then why are you reading this blog?  Go, get out into the world and read the hundreds of articles on the subject!  Do your duty, ye fan of college football.
 
People on Team Johnny Cash Football, as opposed to people on Team NCAA, are spouting off about how the NCAA has to prove that money changed hands in order to bring down a suspension of Mr. Manziel.  I have to disagree....according to the NCAA bylaws:
 
12.5.2 Nonpermissible

12.52.1 Advertisements and Promotions After Becoming a Student-Athlete.
 
After becoming a student-athlete, an individual shall not be eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if the individual:
(a) Accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind; or
(b) Receives remuneration for endorsing a commercial product or service through the individual’s use of such product or service.


"Wait?  Those 1500 Autographs weren't
just for your kids?"
Am I crazy, or does this rule seem to indicated that it doesn't matter if money changed hands?  To me the rule states that if a player know the use of his name is going to be sold, he's in violation.  Don't they have video of him admitting he "did a signing" with the brokers?  Is Johnny Football so stupid that he doesn't know that the business of an autograph broker is to sell photos?  And that over a thousand items are probably not for personal use?

I know it seems like a grayish area, but let me tell you my theory...on how this is going to go down.  Alot of times the NCAA doesn't want to issue suspensions....even if they think they should.  So if a school is willing to suspend the player, I think the NCAA is going to be more willing to go with that punishment and let it go.  But!  With all of the national attention this story is getting, I believe that if Texas A&M chooses not to take pre-emptive action, the NCAA would deal a harsher punishment simply because they feel they have egg on their face.  If I was A&M, I'd pop him for two games then let him play against Alabama and take my chances.

But I just write blogs, so whatevs.





No comments:

Post a Comment