Friday, October 05, 2012

The Open Letter: Addendum A


Dear Showband of the Southwest,

I’m a big fan of you, SBOTSW.  Can I call you SBOTSW? 

I’ve written blogs about you on numerous occasions, praising your general badassery and clear superiority over other college bands.  I’m a huge fan, and think you’re awesome.  Pizza awesome. 



Unfortunately, certain behavior over the last two years has been causing me increasing frustration and confusion.  And I’m not the only one.  Unfortunately, for both of us, the time has come, and something must be said.

And yes, SBOTSW, it is unfortunate for both of us.  Because now I gotta be the asshole that has to complain about one of the awesomest bands around.

So, tonight, on the eve of the Texas/WVU game, I make a plea:

Please, please…I beg of you.  Stop playing “The Eyes of Texas” and “Texas Fight” variations inappropriately at Longhorn football games.   

I’m not sure when or why it became okay to play the booming first nine notes of “The Eyes of Texas” after a second down stop.  As far back as I can remember that taunting tune has been reserved for big stops, most commonly after a big hold on third down.   AFTER.   Why suddenly are we playing it after every other defensive play?  Not appropriate.

I’ve held my tongue over the last few years as the sacred taunting “Eyes” started getting more airtime than “Call Me Maybe.”   I tried to rationalize it.  “Is it because they’re about to play a third down…?”  

If you must reduce the awesomeness of the taunting “Eyes,” then I guess I’ll just deal with it and shut up already.  It’s a shame, and it will make me sad, because I can remember I used to get goosebumps when it was played – it meant something really badass (stopped third down, blocked field goal, etc) just went down.
"THAT WAS ONLY THE 2ND DOWN!!"
But what I heard at the Oklahoma State game last Sunday was the final straw.  When the last second ran out and the sidelines cleared to the field for handshakes and hugs, you played “Texas Fight.”  This in itself is not a crime – but do you know what is a crime?

YOU PLAYED IT LAZY.

I was shocked.  Were we watching the same game?  In the game I was watching, Texas won by five points with the go ahead score landing in the final 30 seconds.  Were you at a different game?  Perhaps one where we were winning by 30 points? 

I cringed when I heard that.  I was embarrassed.  It wasn’t ok.

It’s kind of like when the Oklahoma State fans started shaking their keys at the beginning of the fourth quarter… after achieving their first lead since two minutes into the game.  And a whopping lead, at that.   Of…five?

Inappropriate.   It’s not the first time in recent history I’ve flinched when you played it lazy, but it was the most cringe worthy.  Bad enough to make me say something.

There was a time when Mack Brown led Texas to two BCS Title Games, taking home the crystal football in one.  Of those 12 seasons, three had nine wins, three had 10 wins, three had 11 wins, one had 12 wins and two had 13.  From 1998 to 2009, we were often tearing our opponents up by 40+ points.   I’m okay with a little lazy “Texas Fight” with that kind of win.

I’m hoping that maybe all of the personnel and a lot of you SBOTSWs are young and/or new – maybe you don’t remember or weren’t here before the mess that was 2010.

Whatever the case, I’m begging you SBOTSW, pleading with you.  I’d like to bring back the sanctity of the taunting “Eyes,” but please, please stop playing “Texas Fight” lazy unless it’s appropriate. 

It’s a weapon that, when used wrong, reinforces the stereotypes that Texas fans are arrogant and entitled.   

I don’t mind a little swagger.  But let’s make sure we’ve earned it.

Hook ‘Em,

Beth

 

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment