Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Holidays

The last ball has been snapped and the last Gatorade of the regular season has been drunken. My last Gatorade of the regular season had vodka in it…and based on the second half of the Texas game against Baylor, I’m wondering if Blake Gideon’s did also.

I’m not saying it’s Blake’s fault at all. He just seems like the kind of guy that likes vodka.

As I predicted way in the early days of the season, we lost to Baylor. It wasn’t a big shocker or anything, but it was a little disappointing…especially considering that the ‘Horns seemed to really come out to play in that first half. But, alas, we did not pull it together.

At least we made RGIII look good enough that he was able to bring the Heisman back to the Big XII. On that topic, it would have been pretty upsetting if he hadn’t had won. You can’t tell me that any other player was more valuable to his team this season…not without me thinking that you’re a biased fibber, anyway. I will say the best thing about watching the Heisman ceremony this year was that no Sooners were among the nominees, so I didn’t have to listen to Billy Sims shout out “Boomer” intermittently throughout the evening, thus cementing my inkling that many Oklahoma fans only know three words: Boomer, Sooner and Oklahoma.

This reminds me of a weekend a few years back. Debra, Kacie had gone with our friend “Shotski” to Oklahoma to visit her mom’s lake house. We were also celebrating Shotski’s mom’s engagement that weekend. After a day on the lake, we ended up going out to a few of the local bars to drink lots of shots and sing karaoke. While at the karaoke bar, we encountered this fellow:

Bless his heart, there are so many things wrong with this picture…you may not be able to tell he’s only wearing one shoe. In his defense, we had brought the blow up doll. This is the kind of guy I imagine screaming “Boomer” at some inappropriate place…like during the swearing in of a politician or a funeral.

But, back to the season…The ‘Horns are headed off to the Holiday Bowl, which is a bowl at least. Maybe Major Applewhite will get that old Holiday Bowl feeling and make some magic happen.

As for the BCS Championship game, I probably won’t watch it. I’ve already seen that game and it wasn’t all that great the first time around. While I’m not against a rematch game as the title game, I do think Oklahoma State was robbed by not being selected. I almost get the feeling that it was decided long before OSU thrashed OU. I do think that Mike Gundy is going to go all “I’m a man!” on Paul Rhoads if he ever happens upon him in a bar. Damn the birds with teeth! The Cowboys were just one tornadic event away from the big game and I understand that pain and feel bad for them.

In other bowls…TCU did manage to squeak out a win against WAC Powerhouse Louisiana Tech in the Poinsettia Bowl. Not that I’m making fun – in fact, I’m surprised Sonny Dykes wasn’t snapped up to a more high profile coaching position with all the shake-ups this season. I think he’s done a great job. My not-so favorite coach Gary Patterson, I noticed did for once give his team some ‘positive’ credit after the win. "They found a way to win," Patterson said.

Wow, coach. Those are words you can really take to heart. Hopefully no one let’s their cats eat the poinsettias.

Big props to the NCAA for handing out a pretty stout punishment to Ohio State – no post season in 2012 and the loss of three scholarships for the next three years. Not quite the backhanding USC got, but not the slap on the wrist that I think Ohio State (and Urban Meyer) were expecting. Of course, when things get tough, Meyer will just retire for health reasons again…until the next head coaching job of his dreams comes up.

As for me, I’m ready for Christmas! I love this time of year. Family, food, presents and most importantly…sleep. Between wrapping up deadlines and work and finally catching this bug that’s been flitting around my office for the last two months, I’m planning to sleep for a good 78% of my holiday time off. The “Three Holiday B’s” (that’s Benadryl, Bailey’s and Blankie) are already packed in my car as I anxiously await the work day to end.

Side note: I had finally had it with this bug and decided to go to the doctor. They were pretty sure I had a cold, the flu, a sinus infection and the bubonic plague, so I was subsequently given Tami flu, antibiotics, codeine cough syrup and a steroid shot. The cute male RN came in to administer the shot and said without preamble “I’m Beau. I’m here to give you a shot. Please unbutton your pants and lay on your side, facing me.” Uh, what Beau…no dinner first? Not even a shot of that codeine cough syrup?” I obliged (not because I’m easy, so much, as that I was really sick) and Beau walked me through the administration of the shot. “I’m going to put it right here, at just the tip of your Come and Take It star. I have to say, despite the fact that he was pumping me full of steroids, Beau might be my new hero for 1) recognizing the Come and Take It canon, which has been lovingly tattooed in that general area and 2) managing to say ‘just the tip’ in an uncomfortable situation and not make me feel more uncomfortable. Beau has the magic touch. I had barely made it from the doctor’s office to the pharmacy to my bed before I passed out like the dead for roughly 13 hours.

Let’s just say I would not have survived very long in the olden days.

Aaaand, on that note…from all of us here at Adventures of a Football Girl (and by all of us, I mean me and my multiple personalities), may your Holidays be filled with “The Three Holiday B’s” and your bellies filled with ham, fudge, cookies shaped like snowmen and Manischewitz.

No comments:

Post a Comment