Thursday, October 27, 2011

The T-Shirt Fan

I’ve recently been accused of being a T-Shirt Fan. I find this comical, as anyone that knows a smidgen about me knows that in the case of University of Texas Football I am not, by it's standard, derogatory definition, a T-Shirt Fan.

Urban Dictionary (yes, a reliable source indeed) states the following definition of a T-Shirt Fan:

Anyone who claims they are a "fan" of a particular sports team, even though they had no prior support for/interest in the team until that team started winning.

Laughable, I know. Particularly considering that my father, sister and I all went to UT and that my mom grew up in Austin, where my grandparents still live.

To further dispel the myth, had said hater actually read more of my posts than just the one he disagreed with, he would know that I’ve been to 149 of the last 172 Longhorn football games. That’s a time frame that spans well before and well after the Longhorns have been considered ‘winners’.... 

In fact, when I lay out my tickets from games I’ve attended over the last 13 years in a single layer, they cover almost exactly, my queen sized bed. This does not include the tickets I used to make this purse:


Still, tired of me talking about how offended I was, my sister has asked that I please reconsider my indignation at being called a t-shirt fan, making the point that I might actually be one.

So, I thought about it. Turns out the Haters are right.

I am a T-shirt Fan.

In my current possession, I have 104 pieces University of Texas clothing:

  4    Dresses
13    Non-Orange Any Day Tees
  1    Terrible Ed Hardy Looking Tee
20    Orange Any Day Tees
 7     Work Appropriate Orange Shirts
 2     Jerseys
 4     Orange Tank Tops 
 3     Orange Sleeveless Shirts 
 3     Fancy Orange Shirts 
 3     Pajamas 
 4     Jackets 
 6     Sweatshirts 
 4     Shorts
29    Game/Opposing Team Specific Tees

This does not include the countless shirts that have been unintentionally lost or destroyed over the years.

(Side note: In fact, there’s one shirt that I lost at some point in the mid 2000’s, for which I grieve the loss. My beloved Major Applewhite shirt, that I got in 1999, is gone forever. A perfect tribute to my favorite Texas player of all time, it was burnt orange with a big white apple in the middle, upon which was an orange longhorn. It was amazing, and I miss it dearly. I have scoured the interwebs for years looking for a replacement. In fact, I talk about my love for and sadness over the loss of this shirt so much, that when Debra randomly saw someone wearing one on the street, she tried to buy it literally off their back. I applaud the effort, but appreciate that I too, feel there would be no price high enough to make me want to part for that shirt. It was kind of like this, except not really at all.  Actually, never mind.  Erase this from your mind.  It pretty much just makes me sad.)

Aaaand, let’s dial down the crazy. Back to the T-shirt fan, thing….

I also have many non-clothing University of Texas items from over the years:

 1     Sunglasses
 3     Watches
 3     Pairs of Shoes
 9     Orange Ballcaps
 8     Non-Orange Ballcaps
 3     Pairs of Socks
 3     Pairs of Gloves
 4     Ski/Winter Hats
 5     Scarves
 5     Purses
 4     Wallets
 1     Pairs of Slippers
 1     Umbrellas
 1     Aprons
 3     Suitcases
 4     Headbands
18    Books
 1     Ammunition Saddlebag
 6     Mugs
 6     Blankets
 4     Coolers

Additionally, my camping tent and sleeping bag are burnt orange. As is the entire west wall of my apartment.

Of course, I always have my 'Horns with me...on my left hip...where I paid the tattoo artist to put it.

So after giving it some thought, no longer am I ashamed to be called a T-shirt fan! Bring it on. I’m proud to wear my colors any day of the week.

Win or lose, T-shirts are comfy.

And I look fabulous in burnt orange.  Even Mack thinks so!




1 comment:

  1. I hate to bring up lost shirt feelings but do you by chance have a picture of this said shirt? I too am searching high and low the web to replace my boyfriends long lost shirt, but would like to surprise him. I just don't know what it looks like.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete