Friday, October 07, 2011

The Angry Coach

It's the eve of the Red River Rivalry.  Yet I can't help myself: Gary Patterson is a crazy person.  After SMU beat TCU 40-33 at home in overtime, he completely lost his shit for the entire world to see. 

And it all started with June Jones saying one thing: "[TCU] they don't change, they do what they do and that's what good football teams do."  June says that he simply was trying to say that SMU wants to be more like TCU.

I've heard a lot worse things come out of players and coaches mouths, but for some reason, Patterson, who interpreted the statement as June saying the Frogs were "predictable," found this one of the most insulting and rude comment in football rivalry coach-speak history, and began a rant about how SMU is pretty much dead to him.
"I'm ANGRY GARY!"

"They shouldn't ask me at SMU about going into a conference, they shouldn't ask me about how they play, they shouldn't ask me about their players, they shouldn't ask me about anything because they're not getting any help, period, any more.  We've bent over backwards to make sure they can improve their program."

Of Jones, he said "They haven't changed much either," noting that SMU has only won the one game against him at TCU. 
Classy Gary. 

"SMU has had a lot of help from us over the last three or four years to improve their program.  I don't appreciate being treated the way it is; that's how we got reciprocated.  We're going to go on about our business, but they're not going to get the same help anymore -- not about a ballgame, not about conferences, not about anybody.  They're getting no help from Gary Patterson, period."

I like how in this grammatcially tragic quote, he starts to go all George Costanza and talk about himself in third person....but only after calling out the Alumni and saying they have "a certain feeling about SMU" and that he's "starting to get it" too.

I think if anything should have made him mad, it should be the fact that SMU has announced a ticket deal for the rest of the home games...new pricing is $40.33.

"I'm ANGRY BO!"
Of course, there's also his complete lack of speech awareness regarding the referees, who he feel blew the FIRST BIG CALL OF THE GAME and caused TCU to lose.  Uh, if you have a bad call on the first drive, shouldn't you have lots of time to fix the problem before the game is over?  Wait!   Didn't you have EXTRA TIME?  Really Gary? 

Did you learn anything watching ol' Bo at Nebraska?  Refs don't like it when you say stuff like that.  And they remember.  Oh, wait!  He's got that covered! "I got their names. They won't come back in this staduim ever again."

Wow, Patty. Those are some pretty strong words. I can't wait until next time they come to ref in your staduim to see what happens. I would enjoy a nice TCU forefeit.

I don't know why I'm suprised.  Nine out of the ten times Gary talks about a game, he blames the loss on someone else.   I guess the refs got it this week.  Don't feel bad refs, he's just looking for this week's scapegoat.  Laughably, Gary said he "had a hard time with people that don't admit they made mistakes.  I've got to do it all the time."   Ha, that's funny Gary.  Usually it's other people making mistakes and you calling them out on it.

Initially, Patterson said he had chosen not to critisize the crew's officiating, but did mention that they were from C-USA.  But Gary couldn't let it go.  He feels it's his job to make his thoughts public and that he wasn't going to let this "go away." 

Of course, now that TCU has an offer from the Big XII in their pockets, they may never have to play a C-USA team again.   And I'll have new conference team to replace the Ags that I despise. 

Sorry to hate on you, Gary, but once again you've shifted the blame for your loss off on someone else.  I don't like it or respect it.  Why did you lose to Baylor, Gary?  Well, if you ask him, they knew that Baylor was prone to a tricky little backwards pass "But Jason [Verrett], again, a young corner, a new corner was in man coverage, and he was supposed to stay with the guy going vertical and he jumped the bubble and he was supposed to be on the guy."

Gotcha.

You claim you want to play Big Boy Teams and in a Big Boy League?  Then put your Big Boy Pants on and start manning up as a coach by taking some responsibility for your team. 


2 comments:

  1. While we don't necessarily agree with what Coach Patterson said or how he handled himself, has Mack Brown never whined? Wait, you just call it "campaigning". Clever wordsmithing.

    http://blog.chron.com/longhorns/2008/11/mack-brown-we-dont-like-it-we-dont-agree-with-it/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said many times that I don't always agree with our coaches and/or Mack Brown. Sometimes I think he's politically correct to a fault. I do think it's a bit of a stretch to say Mack's comments that "we don't like it, we don't agree with it and we don't think it's fair, but we'll accept it and move on, and ask that the conference re-evaluate the three way tiebreaker procedures in the future" are the same as "I've taken down the names of the refs and they won't be coming back to this stadium."

    But! We can just agree to disagree! College football fans, myself included, can generally not be dissuaded from what they feel about the schools they love, they hate, or they love to hate!

    ReplyDelete