Wednesday, October 03, 2018

The Ugly Baby



Weeeelp.  That game was a bit more frightening than I would have liked.   Still: It’s an ugly baby but we’re going to bring it home and love it anyway. 

I'm not going to lie.  About 20 miles South of Dallas, we almost turned the car around. It had been torrentially raining for several days in Big D and all forecasts pointed to rain all the way down I-35 and through the entire game.  Seven hours of driving through the storm at the beginning of "Clue" was not appealing.  But we tucked in our rain ponchos and made a go at it.  The drive down was brutal, but not a drop made it into the stadium.  Scott Fisher would have let a big 'old "Hookeeeeeeeeeeeem Horns" out...had he been there.  

The 28-21 victory over The Golden Hurricane left a lot to be desired and didn’t spark a lot of confidence that we’ve gotten those early season jitters out of the way. Instead, it reminded me how fragile life is.  And how quickly a 21-0 lead can become a “thank-god-they-missed-three-field-goals” kind of victory.

In fact as we walked down the ramps after the game, a very sad Tulsa fan reminded us that they lost by 6 points and missed three field goals.  

Let’s face it.  Tulsa went 2-10 last year.  They haven’t won on the road since mid-season 2016.  This should have been a much more resounding victory than it ended up being.  

I really wanted to walk out of the game feeling like we really had a chance to beat USC and just haul out the rest of the season.  While I still have hope and feel like these things are possible, I am more cautiously optimistic than deliriously over-confident....which maybe, now that I think of it is a good thing. 

I’m happy to report that despite blowing a 21 point lead, Ehlinger looked like a quarterback we need.  No interceptions.  Several scrambles for first downs.  21 of 27 and two TD’s. 

Did I want a shut out?  Yes.  Will I take the win?  Yes.  


Did I mention I saw this shirt for sale in Bevo Alley and changed into it into the bathroom??  I will pretty much only have occasion to wear it twice in decade, but luckily it will be on hand when I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment